GMEG - Mineral and Environmental Resources
Coeur d'Alene Life-Cycle Models Products
Project status is complete. Please check the project list for currently active projects
- Produce fact sheets on Coeur d'Alene studies.
- Complete revisions on manuscript addressing mine to district scale geology (White). Complete analyses and interpret new Pb and Sr isotope data on ore samples collected during FY98, prepare manuscript on results, and synthesize stable isotope and fluid inclusion data using vein classifications worked out using Pb and Sr isotope data and field relations (Hofstra, Leach, Fleck, and White). Complete age dating (U-Pb, Rb-Sr, and Ar-Ar) of ore samples collected in FY98 (Fleck). Complete revisions on grade-tonnage and tailings reports and produce a CDROM summarizing tailings information (Long).
- Complete the geomorphological and hydrological map of the upper CdA valley (Box and Bookstrom). Complete open-file reports summarizing geochemical data for floodplain cores, river channel cores, flood sediments, and South Fork bed sediments (Box and Bookstrom). Synthesize USGS and EPA adit and tailings drainage data as a precursor to developing the geoenvironmental component of the life cycle models (Balistrieri, Box, Bookstrom, and Long). EPA is funding the work in this task for FY99.
- Collect porewater in the banks and marshes of the lower valley and assess how dissolved metals would behave if the sediments were dredged (Balistrieri and Box). EPA is funding this porewater work. Continue laboratory, field, and modeling studies of metal sorption onto metal oxide phases in adit drainage and tailings systems, develop a database for metal sorption onto Mn oxides, and write report summarizing database results (Tonkin and Balistrieri). Write report on historical porewater data and benthic fluxes in Coeur d'Alene Lake and assist in collection of new benthic flux data (Balistrieri). EPA is funding the benthic flux work. Assist in designing groundwater study in the upper CdA river basin (Lambert, Caldwell, and Box).
- Complete mineralogical and chemical leaches on an expanded suite of samples from banks and marshes in the lower valley (Hooper/Mahoney, Sutley, Balistrieri, and Box). Work will be coordinated with porewater studies in Task 3. Write journal articles summarizing mineralogical and leach results on samples from the district (Hooper/Mahoney, Balistrieri, and Box). Complete CDROM summarizing bioavailability literature (Mossotti).
Return to Project Homepage | All Mineral Resource Projects | Center Homepage