Mineral Resources Program
News and Events Archive
- Mineral Commodity Summaries 2013 now available online. Published on an annual basis, this report is the earliest Government publication to furnish estimates covering nonfuel mineral industry data. Data sheets contain information on the domestic industry structure, Government programs, tariffs, and 5-year salient statistics for more than 90 individual minerals and materials.
- USGS Announces Mineral Resources External Research Program Grants for 2012.
- USGS announces release of assessment of the rare earth resource potential of the Khanneshin carbonatite in Helmand Province, Afghanistan ... read more
- USGS Mineral Resources External Research Program
for FY 2012 -- Now Accepting Applications and Proposals
- Mineral Commodity Summaries 2011 now available online
- Historical documents associated with the Defense Minerals Administration (DMA), Defense Minerals Exploration Administration (DMEA), and Office of Minerals Exploration (OME) (1950-74) now available online
- USGS Announces Mineral Research Program Grants for 2010
- New article in Geology (v. 37) reports asteroid impact may explain change in deep-ocean
oxygen levels almost 2 billion years ago
- New article in Earth (v. 54/10) reports how MRP geoscientists aid in the aftermath of environmental disasters
- New Web page: Minerals Use in Safety Applications in the Workplace
- Applied Geochemistry (v. 24/8) highlights geochemical studies of North American soils
- USGS Mineral Resources External Research Program—Fiscal Year 2010—Now Open
- Articles originally published in American Geological Institute’s (AGI) Geotimes column "Mineral Resource of the Month" now available on line.
- USGS announces recipients of 2009 Mineral Resources External Research Program Grant Awards
- New report—Thorium Deposits of the United States—Energy Resources for the Future?
Mineral Commodity Summaries 2009 now available online
Web page discusses why minerals matter.
Geologic Map Compilation of Southern Brooks
Range, Alaska, now available online
- USGS announces release of the “Preliminary Nonfuel Mineral Resource Assessment of Afghanistan 2007”
Open File Report 2007-1214
- RSS feed for minerals periodicals is now available
- Links to New Study on Critical Minerals and the U.S. Economy cosponsored by MRP
- U.S. Geological Survey Mineral Resources Program—Science Supporting Mineral Resource Stewardship - U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2007-3035
- Mineral Resource Assessment of Selected Areas in Clark and Nye Counties, Nevada
- USGS Mineral Resources Program—Supporting Stewardship of America's Natural Resources
U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1289
As part of the National Research Council's 2003 review of the USGS Mineral Resources Program (MRP), a recommendation was made that MRP document the contributions and past impacts of resource assessments and other program work products. In response to the recommendation, USGS Circular 1289 was published.
- Recycled Cell Phones—A Treasure Trove of Valuable Metals
- Mineral Resources Program Five-Year Plan, 2006-2010
- The Lifecycle of a Mineral Deposit - A Teacher's Guide for Hands-On Mineral Education Activities
- Contributions to Industrial-Minerals Research
- Historical Statistics for Mineral Commodities in the United States