Eastern Mineral and Environmental Resources Science Center
Eastern Mineral and Environmental Resources - Computer and GIS Support
Project Objective: Support the EMERSC Information Technology infrastructure in order to carry out GIS, scientific visualization, image processing, modeling, and map production functions. The project maintains Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 file, print and application servers. The project also supports a common-use GIS laboratory with workstations, large-format plotters, color laser printers, DVD duplicator, large-format color scanner, and GIS and Image processing software (including ArcGIS, GeoSoft, and ENVI).
Accomplishments 2012 - 2014:
- Completed the Windows XP to Windows 7 Operating System migration with no impact to EMERSC personnel IT operations. Developed technical purchase specifications and performed system configurations for all new Windows 7 systems. Performed all required post processing operations including data restore, software installation and system customization.
- Each year, continue to improve GIS management and coordination of limited available GIS resources required by EMERSC projects and amongst Mineral Program Science Centers.
- Improved operational efficiency and reduced IT support costs by reducing the number of workstations and laptops by >30%.
- Improved process for EMERSC employees to comply with new DOI IT security requirements for international travel.
- Developed a standardized procedure and provided technical support to configure and purchase all IT hardware and software for EMERSC personnel.
- On a yearly basis, new and/or upgraded GIS hardware and software are evaluated to identify the analytical benefits to EMERSC scientific research.
- Reduced Project OE costs by 18% (inflation adjusted) in less than five years while still providing the same quality of IT/GIS technical user support.
- Documented and archived (hard drive & LTO tape backup) digital scientific data for EMERSC employees that have left the EMERSC within the past five years.
- Reduced EMERSC facility costs by >$25,000 per year by consolidating GIS/Computer labs and server room space (reduced >800 sq. ft. of space).
- Provide GIS training and technical user support for newly hired Federal and contractor personnel.
- Coordinated Google Apps for Government migration and performed required pre-processing steps to ensure smooth transition. Served as lead Bison Connect support Guide and trainer for EMERSC.
- Produce yearly EMERSC IT Hardware Life Cycle report and future technology upgrade plans for IT/GIS computer lab. This plan ensures adequate funding is available in the future and minimizes impact of technical upgrades on the scientific research and GIS operations.
- Participated in USGS Contingency Planning for IT infrastructure and desktop computing resources. Resulted in the improvement of EMERSC’s Continuing of Operations Plan.
- Developed redundant Enterprise Backup system for EMERSC client workstations data utilizing latest LTO tape technology.
- Implemented DOI IT Transformation policies including DOI Data At Rest, DOI mobile encryption and DOI IT security directives.
- Started cost sharing IT procurement plan for future purchasing of IT enterprise equipment for EMERSC and EERSC to lower future system support costs.
- Provided IT support to assist the USGS team responsible for creating a new GIS data center at the Afghanistan Geological Survey in Kabul.